Tornado Fatique

One Friday, I was on the road, driving home, when I heard the sirens. Opening the windows, I looked up to the sky. Yep! Tornado warning - I already learned that a certain green color of the sky and the silence all around highlight the possibility of it. I turned on the radio and almost dropped the wheel at the sound of the voice in my car, “If you are driving, get out of the car and find the nearest ditch. Get on the ground as low as possible, facing down, and cover your head with your hands.”
I got goose bumps - what if it was the voice of God? Then, I looked around and didn’t notice a single driver leaving a car on the street and running to the road’s shoulder. The rain made me feel like Noah in his ark. What if it was another flood? We never learned from the first one.  What if God took his promise away? [Insert Figure 17 here]
Nobody stops. My common sense interrupted my frustration: if I get out of the car and lie face down in the ditch, I will be dirty and look like an idiot if the tornado never strikes. If I do not get out of the car and dive into the nearest ditch, then will I be mad at myself, flying away in my car into eternity?
It was embarrassing to be the only one who got panicky and so I relaxed – the main thing is to have control over the situation. The voice interfered with my peace of mind, “Get out of the car…”
“What if it is God speaking? What if God offers me salvation, but I ignore?”
I pushed the gas pedal down and got ahead of the drivers in front of me. Beating my personal time record as I raced home, I almost envisioned how my house would fly away at the very moment of my victorious entrance into the garage. But it didn’t happen either, so I guess, it was not the voice of God to begin with, but I thanked Him for giving me common sense and not making me look stupid in front of all of Kansas City.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology