My new accent

I found myself in the retail business after serving a church for many years. Can't resist the temptation to compare the church and the retail worlds! In two short months, I saw plenty of contrasts: a Middle-Eastern woman, who hides her face behind a veil, and a transgender guy, who fearlessly displays his/her new breasts to the public. I was told that money doesn't have gender. Dollars are still dollars. Gays, lesbians, blacks, greens, immigrants... Does it really matter?

The world of retail is more accepting, more encouraging, and more sincere than the church world. How refreshing to be appreciated after being pointed at my accent for way too long.

As for me, I still have my accent but, if in the church I was criticized for having it, in the world of retail, I am praised for it. I'm told that people are curious of someone who is different from them. In the church, Christians look down at those who are different.

Today, I was told that I have an accent.
Here we are again, I thought.
But no, the comment was made not on my way of speaking, but on the "accent nail" on my left hand. Yes, I have an accent nail. It's blue with glitter. I didn't plan to have one trying different nail polishers, but it was pleasant to be noticed for something rather than manner of speaking. The retail world calls for self-expression and fun. Very refreshing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology