Street corner with a catch




“We are so b-o-o-o-o-red! The food is disgusting! The smell is horrific!” I didn’t blame our Russian teenagers for their desire to get out of the old American church building. They were having a severe case of cabin fever. They came to see America. Their money burned their fingers. Shopping was the most desirable activity on their to-do list.
The local bank employees called me one morning from the bank, “Lydia, are those girls yours?”
“What girls?”
“I am afraid that those girls on the corner are Russians. We first thought they were local prostitutes that we see on our corner every day, until we saw that those girls were way too young to make money on the corner. We do not want to upset you, but this corner has a dark reputation. We do not want your girls to get hurt.” 
I ran outside and I saw my Russian teenage girls from the Summer Camp standing on the corner of 10th and Central, in the heart of downtown Kansas City, Kansas. There they were in their tiny shorts, revealing as much of their legs and hips as you would see people doing only in California and Russia. Nobody would even think those girls could be underage.
“Girls, did I not tell you stay inside? Did I not tell you how dangerous this area is?!!! You cannot go out without adults.”
“We  simply went across the street to buy some groceries! Big deal! This is 10 AM; this is not night! Why do you always try to scare us?! We are from Russia and we can go anywhere safely. Here it is like a village and people are so kind to us.” The girls started waving at someone. I looked around and saw a truck driver pulling over to where the girls were and a few guys across the street, waiting. They waved back and grinned.
“Oh, yeah! I am sure those guys are friendly. Go back to the church! Right now! Go, I said! I will explain to you later how friendly they are!”
The meeting with the group didn’t go well. The Russian crew was angry.
“Ok, let me take you shopping now. Then I will take you to the Plaza, my most favorite place.” But the Plaza didn’t impress them much either. Girls didn’t see America in Kansas City.
How often girls, like my Russian teenagers, disappeared in sex traffic out of their passion to experience the wealth of the West? My job was to help at least these stubborn girls to appreciate real America without diamond jewelry and mansions.  Kansas City is the best place to learn about ordinary people who work and raise their children away from temptations of the Western or Eastern coasts.
“We are bored! We want to see real America.”
“This is real America. Deal with it!”
From that moment on, the corner of 10th and Central went back to the natives. That I couldn’t change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology