Howdy


 In America, I learned to like stew. In Russia we have a
similar soup that is called BORSCH. It has one critical ingredient: beets that make the soup red. 
Whether stew or borsch, the richness of it is in diversity. You say America is a melting pot, but I don’t like that image. In a melting pot, everything loses its uniqueness. I say America is a thick stew; in a stew, every carrot and potato, and piece of meat retain its color, texture and individuality!
Like my friend Mitch said recently after visiting California, “It was nice to feel myself a minority for a change!” But it is still a little different in the Midwest.
“Howdy,” Barbara greeted me with a smile. I smiled back just in case. I traveled all over North East, East Coast and South, but never heard the word. Luckily, I knew that the best way to survive in a different culture is to observe gestures and faces before reacting. After several “howdys” I guessed that nobody tried to hurt me or send me somewhere, it simply meant, “Hi” or “Hello”.
“I’ve heard through the grapevine…,” Barbara leaned over my shoulder and whispered. In situations like this the main thing is not to panic but to continue listening until you get it. Barbara got closer.
“I’ve heard that our cook is stealing food.”
What a relief! The “Aha!” moment came before I began exploring the idea of attempting to listen through the “grapevine.” When you learn a new language you take everything literally. My exchange with Barbara is what we call gossiping! Russians or Americans - we all like to gossip. That was a “no-brainer!”
“Get out of Dodge!” I didn’t move because I do not own a “Dodge”; I drive Honda.
“Get out of Dodge!!!!!” My friend yelled, so I sunk into my office chair and froze. Then I saw everybody running. If I see people running, I do not need to be asked twice, I got so scared that I had not just ran out of the building faster than my friend, but I also jumped into my Honda and drove away, finding out much later that “Get out of Dodge!” doesn’t leave you time to observe another culture - this is the time to run!
So, I was right! At the end evacuating myself? It is all about common sense, not about the accent. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology