Midwife


I do not see myself as a savior or a therapist. To be completely honest, I used to try to be both until I got it! The role of a pastor is to help people to find the JOY and the sacred purpose in the midst of a crisis or in the midst of a routine and uneventful life.

A pastor has a role of an interpreter of the Scripture to the local congregation, honoring the work of minor and major prophets, and sharpening the skill of listening to the people at the same time. The truth can be found in this flowing relationship between the scriptures, the pastor, and the congregation. The pastor is a faithful devotee, sort of a "midwife" assisting his or her people in their transformation through Grace. 
I am blessed to see the underlying truth in everything around me. It found its reflection in my recent book From Misery to Mystery. My book helped me gain the freedom of not needing the church to be my measure. The cross, which the modern church is so embarrassed of, continues guiding me. God only knows where the church is going at the moment. Meanwhile, my role is in planting the seeds through my preaching, coaching. and counseling. God will do the rest.
As soon as I was able to stick to my new role of an interpreter and of a midwife, I was able to focus more on helping my parishioners to get rid of their false ideas about God, unmask their false self-images to attempt to find the truth. We all need to restore the sacred image of God in us. 
It works better for me when I am in my humble role of a midwife. "My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you..." Galatians 4:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology