Cleaning Lady


To have or not to have a vision for a congregation is not an option. As a pastor, I believe that my calling is to remind people about their mission and empower them to pursue a new vision every three-to-five years. It rarely ends well. People, who do the same thing year after year, get upset.


My new church sells brooms and trash bags to add money for the church budget. Every cent is invested and there is no money for any ministry. Brooms of different size and shape are displayed at the entrance of the church, where the cross should be. 
As a new pastor, I ask a question, "What is your mission?"
Sarah interrupts me with metallic intensity, “Our mission is to provide every member with a good quality broom and a strong trash bag!”  
I feel like a destroyer. I destroy the "Peace" in the sacred building called CHURCH. 
What is my next step? I look around, take a broom from the rack and begin cleaning. I help the church to get rid of narrow vision, club-mentality, clicks, inner-focus, and money making. My favorite passage from the Bible is about Christ cleaning the Temple. I am not Christ - I am His Cleaning Lady.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts from the Hammock

Just Swing

Frogology